Sunday, March 8, 2009

John Tory


John Tory has resigned as leader of Ontario's Progressive Conservative Party after losing a by-election in Lindsay. If I lived in Lindsay he would have had one more vote. I vote for Tory every chance I get. In all my years of observation and participation (voting), Tory is the only politician who spoke to me. During the provincial elections he ran on a platform of extending funding to private and religious-based schools. I felt this spoke to inclusion. It spoke to acceptance. It spoke to an understanding that there is more than one way to approach life and the problems facing us in the 21st century. I was driven to my only act of political activism - I put up a lawn sign. Okay. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but for cynical me it was huge! John Tory will survive and, I have no doubt, he will thrive. Ontario will survive, but it won't be the place it could be.

3 comments:

  1. John Tory is my favourite kind of conservative politician...the kind who can't win an election. Ba dum bum! That said, I've dealt with him a little bit through my work and he seems like a very nice man. A nice man I never agree with, but still, a nice man who is respectful of the electorate and the process.

    The public funding of private and religious schools is what killed his last campaign. It seems to me that the majority of voters saw not inclusion, but segregation. We saw that this would further ghettoize the religious communities these policies were designed to help. I, for one, am a stickler for the separation of church and state and resent the fact that my tax dollars even go to fund Catholic schools...so you can imagine how I felt about the idea of taking $500 million badly needed funding from the existing public system.

    Anyway, it's old news. I am glad that he inspired some form of activism in you though, and I'll continue to watch him with great interest myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding your first line, Miss Tracey: would you say that to our pal Lincoln Alexander?

    ReplyDelete