Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's Election Day - Vote early, vote often!

The number of those who undergo the fatigue of judging for themselves is very small indeed.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751 - 1816)

Certainly the goal of a democratic society is an informed and interested electorate, but the reality is that many forego the privilege and duty of voting. A privilege and duty fought for by brave men and women. Also, since it is your vote, your reasons are your own - do you not like a candidate's hair, do you vote the way your family tells you, do you vote when the polls have forecast a winner - it matters not as it is your vote.
This is a particularly special election. The amazing Janet has just turned 18 and it is now her privilege and duty to participate in democracy. Her vote choice is unknown to me, but I have come upon her and her rowdy friends sitting on the front stoop discussing politics. These teenagers are interested and enthusiastic and I think this is a good sign for the future.
A note to my American friends: we have had 37 days of campaigning. 37 days and it's over. Jealous?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so jealous. I fall asleep now, whenever a campaign ad comes on TV. I no longer care about rhetoric. Do something and/or shut up!

    My daughter is 20 and this is her first vote. We talk and I am so happy and proud that she's thinking things through and coming up with a really individual mindset. I have hope for the generations that follow. They seem informed and interested. I hope they remain focused and responsible all of their lives. Hoping is a good thing, especially when it's the only thing that you have left.

    Hope on!

    ReplyDelete