Monday, September 15, 2008

Politics in the movies

During September the inestimable Turner Classic Movies is presenting a series of movies related to politics. It's a grand lineup featuring everything from The Best Man to The Great McGinty to Gabriel Over the White House.

Today I consider my little corner of the blogosphere an adjunct to TCM's series. Years ago I formed a number of opinions regarding the goings on in the nation's capital. During my John LeCarre phase (spy thrillers) I came to the conclusion that Pierre Trudeau was a Communist mole. I had pretty much dismissed that early fantasy until Castro showed up at his funeral!

Some years ago it suddenly struck me that Parliament was just a job and sometimes a game. The ruling party puts forward a motion and the opposition opposes it. That's how things get done. Checks and balances. Reporter shmoozing is followed by a beer at a local pub. I came to this conclusion back in the 80s when those hail and hearty middle-aged Cabinet Ministers Jean Chretien and John Crosbie would show up on the CBC to discuss some matter of current import. Without saying the exact words, they would (in their distinctive and delightful regional accents) call each other and their opposing parties idiots or bastards depending on the particular issue at hand. They put me in mind of that great cinematic team, Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog. Therefore, for your entertainment and edification, please enjoy Double or Mutton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLWiKuDpbks

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Miss Mc., and they say Guiding Light or Corrie are the longest running serials.

    ReplyDelete